Kunafa (also Kanafeh and Kunefa) is a delicious Turkish treat? Follow this Kunafa recipe – a difficult dessert made easy by following these super simple steps. Enjoy.
Ingredients for the Kunafa Recipe:
- Approx. 400g Kataifi Dough (can be found in most Turkish supermarkets)
- 350g Melted Unsalted Butter
- 400g Akawi Cheese (or Mozzarella), shredded
- Extra butter for basting the cake tin
Ingredients for the syrup:
- 1 ½ cup White Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 1tsp Lemon Juice
- 1tsp Orange Blossom water or Rose Water (or to taste)
- Handful of crushed pistachios
- Dried rose petals (optional)
- Shred the kataifi dough until it is of a crumb like texture
- Pour melted butter
- Mix the butter thoroughly through all of the kataifi dough
- Lightly butter a standard 6 inch cake tin
- Spread half of the kataifi dough around the cake tin and approx. 1cm above the edge.
- Firmly press down the kataifi dough until it is evenly spread out throughout the cake tin
- Add the shredded akawi cheese over the kataifi dough
- Leave approx. 1cm around the edge clear
- Add the remainder of the kataifi dough and spread evenly until all of the cheese is covered
- Bake in the oven for approx. 30-35minutes or until the kataifi dough is lightly golden and the cheese has melted
Whilst the kunefa is baking, make the sugar syrup as per the instructions below:
- Pour the water and sugar into a pan and heat until the water starts to boil
- Lower the temperature to medium, add the lemon juice and stir continuously until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is of a syrup like consistency. This should take approx. 5-6 minutes
- Remove from the heat, let it cool and then add the orange blossom water or rose water
- Let the syrup cool down before pouring over the hot kunefa
- When the kunefa has cooked, remove from the oven and immediately drizzle the cold sugar syrup all over the kunefa.
- Sprinkle crushed pistachio and dried rose petals
- Serve with either ice cream or clotted cream
Don’t forget to check out all our other recipes here.
Follow me on Instagram: Halal_chronicles